JALBCA leverages the legal community’s expertise and resources to promote awareness, early detection, treatment, education and legal support for all those affected by breast cancer.
JALBCA 2020 Symposium a Great Success!
JALBCA’s 24th Annual Ellen P. Hermanson Memorial Symposium, “Legislating Genetic Testing: Is Knowledge Power?”, presented virtually as a mock legislative hearing, provided insights from seven stellar “testifying witnesses” and probing questions from four “legislative panelists” concerning whether our nation’s healthcare system can and should do more to empower Americans with knowledge about their genetic pre-disposition to cancer. The two-hour CLE program on December 9, 2020 drew nearly 400 registrants – by far the highest in JALBCA’s history.
Many thanks to our co-sponsors, The Ellen Hermanson Foundation and the Bench and Bar of the Southern District of New York, and to supporting organizations SHARE and The Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York. Kudos to Symposium Co-Chairs Desirée Ripo, Erika Stallings and Virginia Trunkes, and Symposium Subcommittee members Amy Carlin, Hon. Barbara Jaffe, Sandra Lespinasse and Rian Silverman, for putting together this wonderful program.
The mock legislative panel, chaired by Erika Stallings (BRCA awareness advocate and attorney, Facebook Music), included Hon. Barbara Jaffe (NYS Supreme Court, JALBCA Board member), Hon. Keith Powers (Member, New York City Council and Committee on Health) and Hon. Alan D. Scheinkman (then-Presiding Justice, Appellate Division, Second Judicial Dep’t, JALBCA Board member).
- Patrick J. Burke, Esq., Partner, Chair of Data Technology & Cybersecurity Group, Phillips Nizer LLP
- Kristen C. Kim, Esq., Associate General Counsel, Chief Regulatory Counsel, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Anya Prince, MPP, JD, Associate Professor of Law, Iowa College of Law, and Member of the University of Iowa Genetics Cluster
- Kathryn M. Rattigan, Esq., Robinson & Cole LLP’s Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Team and Business Litigation Group
- Lisa A. Schlager, Vice President of Public Policy, FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered)
- Julia A. Smith, MD, PhD, NYU Langone Perlmutter Cancer Center, Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Medicine at NYU Grossman School of Medicine
- Fran Visco, JD, President, National Breast Cancer Coalition
Read more about the Symposium in our Winter 2021 Newsletter.